Appendix II The Golden Rules
Following these rules will not guarantee that you never get a
virus, but they will go a long way to ensuring that you have a
virus free machine.
- NEVER boot from a non system disk.
- ALWAYS check ALL software BEFORE it is installed or used on the system.
- Purchase GOOD antiviral software and USE it.
- BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP - take regular backups.
- BEWARE of con merchants masquerading as virus experts.
- WRITE PROTECT all floppy disks.
- For MAXIMUM security use DOS based antiviral software.
- BOOT from a CLEAN WRITE PROTECTED system disk prior to virus checking.
- Perform virus checks from WRITE PROTECTED floppies.
- Do NOT leave floppies sitting in the drives.
Reproduced with permission from Virus: A Computer Malaise - Keith
Parkins (Books on Disk : 1995) (c) Keith Parkins 1995.
Internet Resources ~
(c)Keith Parkins December 1996 rev 3